Secrets job seekers should know
Not getting the results you want in your job search? Here are eight ways to help put your search on fast-forward:
1. Monitor your online time: We’ve all experienced the phenomena of “online creep” where you log on to get one piece of information and three hours later, you’re still surfing the computer. Decide in advance how much time you need to spend online and then stick to it. If needed, set a timer to remind yourself that it’s time to move on to other activities.
2. Sign up for personal “job agents”: Many sites now offer “personal job agents” that can automate your job search for you. After registering information about the specific type of job you are looking for, the agent notifies you by e-mail when jobs are posted on their database that meet your criteria. You can then apply for any position directly with the employer.
3. Follow up your online correspondence: Don’t sit around passively waiting for the phone to ring after you respond to a job posting. Take the initiative and follow-up by phone several days later to check on the status of your application. This one action can distinguish you from the competition and get you an interview.
4. Use the job boards to scope out companies in active hiring mode: Do you repeatedly see ads for multiple positions within the same company? Apply directly to those firms even if you don’t see a specific posting within your field of expertise. Chances are they’ll need employees in a variety of positions and departments.
5. Maximize the research capability of the internet: The internet is the ultimate research tool. You can find out just about everything you need to know about companies and industries of interest – use that information to gain a competitive edge in your correspondence and interviews. One of my favorite resources for getting in-depth information on specific companies and industries is Vault.com. They have extensive reports on management consulting firms, law firms and a number of Fortune 500 companies (among others).
| 1 | 2 | Next Page