Friday, October 23, 2009

Stephens College grads celebrate relationships

Speaker Jane Hobson Marcus, a 1978 Stephens graduate who works as an executive recruiter for the financial sector, noted she rubs shoulders with corporate CEOs, presidents and trustees. “I’m in front of the biggest” leaders “on Wall Street everyday, but I have to admit I was terrified to speak to you,” she told the graduates.

Marcus talked about the trajectory of her career but noted self-awareness gave her the strength and confidence to make her own choices. “Now I have a career I love,” she said. “Know yourself and use that knowledge to separate yourself from the crowd.”

Along life’s journey, Marcus said she has asked herself, “Am I doing what I want to do? And I true to who I am?”

“Allow yourself to be who you want to be, not what others want you to be,” she said.

Marcus said she spends her free time as a competitive ballroom dancer. She noted while her Wall Street career has been incredible, it’s not what people remember her for.

“You don’t know how many times I’ve been in a business meeting and someone has mentioned my ballroom dancing,” she said.

Previous page | 1 | 2 |

blog comments powered by Disqus
 

New Grad Life Copyright © 2012 Community is Designed by Bie