Friday, October 23, 2009

A New Grad's Journey Into the ‘Real World’

Two weeks before my graduation, after accepting the fact that a PR job was a hard thing to find in Miami, I was prepared to start applying for non-PR positions. That is, until I received an email requesting an interview at Newman PR. I was ecstatic. I went home that night and researched the company to familiarize myself with as much as possible before my interview.

Walking into the office for the first time was nerve-wracking, to say the least. I usually do not get nervous before job interviews but this one was different. This was not another job to get me through a year or so of school, it was the first stepping-stone of my career in public relations.

At the end of my interview I was informed that I needed to complete a writing test. I knew this test would make or break my chances of being hired. Being finals week at school, this was one more test to add on to my schedule. I completed and returned the test as soon as I could and, to my delight, received a call back for a second interview.

A couple days and a revised press release later, I was offered the position. Just one weekend shy of college graduation, I had a job in my career field. It was more than I could ask for. While out with friends, a stranger overheard me sharing my new employment news and offered me her congratulations. She proceeded to tell me about her current situation as a recently graduated nurse struggling to find work. As if I did not feel fortunate enough, this perfect stranger’s congratulations and words of encouragement made me feel even more grateful.

After mentally preparing myself for a tough couple months of job-hunting, I had to change gears and instead start reading up on the clients I would be working with. It was now time to put my acquired PR skills and work ethic to the test as I entered the “real world.”

Previous page | 1 | 2 |


blog comments powered by Disqus
 

New Grad Life Copyright © 2012 Community is Designed by Bie