Friday, October 23, 2009

Internship or Entry-Level Job?: New grads weigh options

"Upon finishing my undergraduate program in 2008, I spent about 6 months working in a restaurant, while searching and applying to any jobs I could find across the northeast. It amounted to very little, just a few interviews and words of advice, such as 'try back with us in a couple years after you have a little experience under your belt.' I had applied to some graduate programs during my final semester at my undergrad university, as a backup. Now, despite my advanced education and technical skills gained from Quinnipiac's journalism program, I feel I am no better off."

Parent has applied for various positions in the journalism field, which, like culinary and visual effects work, is very competitive.

"I don't see the problem as an economic problem, I see it more as experience discrimination. Despite having an advanced degree and having the ability to write, shoot, edit and package a news story, employers note one thing: no real world experience."

It may not be all bad, however. According to the NACE, the Job Outlook 2010 Spring Update reports that employers plan to hire 5.3 percent more recent college graduates in the upcoming year than they had in 2008.

Plus, given the statistics regarding interns, it may be worthwhile to bite the unpaid-work bullet and sign up for an internship program at one of your ideal places of work. The 2010 NACE Student Survey revealed that 42.3 percent of college seniors who had internship experience and applied for work received at least one offer.

Regardless of the numbers, it is still a difficult time to land that dream job right out of college and the job applicants willing to make adjustments to get started appear to be doing the best.

Previous page | 1 | 2 |


blog comments powered by Disqus

New Grad Life Copyright © 2012 Community is Designed by Bie