Friday, October 23, 2009

15 Toughest Interview Questions (and Answers!)

4. Why are you leaving your current role?

Bad answer:
“I can’t stand my boss, or the work I’m doing.”

Again, stay away from badmouthing your job or employer. Focus on the positive.

Good answer:
“I’ve learned a lot from my current role, but now I’m looking for a new challenge, to broaden my horizons and to gain a new skill-set – all of which, I see the potential for in this job.”

5. Where do you see yourself in five years?

Bad answer:
“Relaxing on a beach in Maui,” or “Doing your job.”

There’s really no right answer to this question, but the interviewer wants to know that you’re ambitious, career-oriented, and committed to a future with the company. So instead of sharing your dream for early retirement, or trying to be funny, give them an answer that illustrates your drive and commitment.

Good answer:
“In five years I’d like to have an even better understanding of this industry. Also, I really love working with people. Ultimately, I’d like to be in some type of managerial role at this company, where I can use my people skills and industry knowledge to benefit the people working for me, and the company as a whole."

6. What’s your greatest weakness?

Bad answer:
“I work too hard,” or for the comedian, “Blondes.”

This question is a great opportunity to put a positive spin on something negative, but you don’t want your answer to be cliché – joking or not. Instead, try to use a real example of a weakness you have learned to overcome.

Good answer:
“I’ve never been very comfortable with public speaking – which as you know, can be a hindrance in the workplace. Realizing this was a problem, I asked my previous employer if I could enroll in a speech workshop. He said “yes.” I took the class, and was able to overcome my lifelong fear. Since then, I’ve given lots of presentations to audiences of over a 100 high level executives – I still don’t love it, but no one else can tell!”

Previous page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next Page

 

New Grad Life Copyright © 2012 Community is Designed by Bie